GENESEE COUNTY, NEW YORK
STAFFORD was formed from Batavia and LeRoy, March 24, 1820. In 1842, a piece of Stafford was taken to form the town of Pavilion. It is an interior town lying E. of the
center of the county. Stafford was first settled in 1801, by Col. William Rumsey and Gen. Worthy Lovel Churchill, (from Vt.,) who located on the Buffalo Road 1 (Rt. #5), W. of
VILLAGES / AREAS:
Morganville, which lies just off of Rt. 237 north of Rt. 5 and west of Black Creek.
Roanoke,formerly "Orangeburgh", which is in the southeast corner of the town.
Stafford, near the center of the town at the intersection where Rts. 5 and 237 join. It was
known as "Transit Store House", from its being the principal supply
station for the surveying company while running the "Transit Line".
ORGANIZATIONS / PEOPLE:
Stafford Historical Society
c/o Mrs. Martha Heddon, Stafford Town Hall
8903 Route 237 / P.O. Box 52, Stafford, NY 14143
Ann Costa, Town Clerk
Town of Stafford
8903 Route 237, PO
Stafford, NY 14143-0052
Robert Mullen Sr.
5655 Mullen Rd.
Stafford, NY 14143
Bartholf Cemetery( DeBow Cemetery) - Clapsaddle Road between Route 63 and Townline Road, abandoned, first burial 1811, last 1845
Tyler Cemetery (Caswell Cemetery, Thompson Cemetery , Walkers Corner Cemetery) - east side of Caswell Road, just south of Griswold
Road, abandoned, first burial 1815, last 1882
Morganville Cemetery - east side of Morganville Road at Lake Road, incorporatd active cemetery, first burial 1815
Fargo Road Cemetery (Temperance Hill Cemetery,Pioneer Cemetery, Old Cemetery) - west side of Fargo Road, just south of Main Road (Route
Randall Cemetery - north side of Randall Road, just west of Buckley
Road, abandoned, first burial 1830, last 1931
Stafford Cemetery - on both sides of Transit Road, south of the village
of Stafford (Routes 5 & 237), incorporated active cemetery. The ‘Old’ section is on the west side, the ‘New’ on the east.
In the spring of 1996, all were visible from the road. Morganville and Stafford cemeteries are in good shape. The others have suffered the ravages of time, but have many legible stones.
Old Morganville Cemetery, two hundered yards northeast of Morganville Cemetery in a pasture on the Flemming Farm, abandoned.
Veterans’ Burials in Stafford Cemeteries
CHURCHES: The first religious services were held at the house of Col.
Rumsey, by Rev. Mr. Green. The first church (Bap.) was formed by Rev. Amos Lampson in 1815.
St. Paul'sEpiscopal Church, 6188 Rt. #5, Stafford - 343-4012
United Methodist Church both ,Stafford.
United Church of Christ, 8466 Morganville Rd., Stafford - 343-6019.
FIRST SETTLERS:Peter Stage (from Onondaga Co,) settled in 1802. Benj. Ganson and John
Annis were the first settlers in the E. part of the town. Gen. W. L.
Churchill served in the War of 1812, and subsequently as
sheriff of Genesee county from 1820 to 1825. The first birth was W. L. Churchill March 9, 1803; and the first death, was the wife of W. L. Churchill at about the same time. The first school teacher
was Esther Sprout, in 1806. Frederick Walthers was the first
inn keeper, at Stafford Village in 1799; this was one of the first three
taverns kept in the Holland Purchase. The
first sawmill was built on Bigelow Creek, in 1810 by Amos Stow; and the
first gristmill, on the same stream in 1811 by Seymour Ensign.
Stafford History section of The Gazetteer and Business Directory of Genesee
County, N.Y. for 1869-70; Compiled and published by Hamilton Child,
Syracuse, NY, 1869.
Many thanks to Francis Bushhammer for the useful Stafford info !
You are our
visitor-- since January 20, 1997 -- thanks for stopping by!
This page was last updated on--
Back to Main Page