Transcibed by Kristy Lawrie Gravlin - email@example.com
The Town of
Genesee County, New York
as taken from The Gazetteer and Business Directory of Genesee County, N.Y.
for 1869-70; Compiled and published by Hamilton Child, Syracuse, NY, 1869.
Pembroke, was formed from Batavia, June 8, 1812. A part of Alabama was
taken off in 1826 and Darien in 1832. It is the central town on the west
border of the County. The surface is level or gently undulating.
Tonawanda Creek flows through the north-east part, and Murder Creek through
the south and south-west parts. The soil is a sandy and gravelly loam,
intermixed with clay. The Tonawanda Indian Reservation occupies a portion
of the north part of the town.
East Pembroke (p. v., situated on the line of Batavia, on Tonawanda Creek,
contains three churches, viz., Baptist, Presbyterian and Roman Catholic;
Rural Seminary, a hotel, three stores, a grist mill, a saw mill, a wool
carding mill, a stave manufactory, a cheese factory and about 80 dwellings.
It is a station on the Canandaigua and Niagara Falls branch of the N.Y.C.
Pembroke (p. v.), on Murder Creek, in the west part of the town, contains a
church, several stores, mills and mechanic shops, and about 35 houses.
Corfu (p. v.) in the south part, on the N.Y.C. R.R., contains two
churches, several stores, shops, &c., and between 200 and 300 inhabitants.
North Pembroke, (p. v.) on Tonawanda Creek, contains saw and grist mills
and about 20 dwellings.
Indian Falls is a post office in the north part, on Tonawanda Creek.
Prospect Hill is a hamlet.
The first settlement was made by David GOSS, from Mass., in 1804. In 1808
John LONG, Dr. David LONG, from Washington Co., and Samuel CARR settled in
the town, and Joseph LESTER, from Connecticut, in 1809.
The first birth was that of a child of Jonathan HASTINGS, Jr., in 1810; the
first marriage was that of Ansell HASTINGS and Polly LONG, in 1812. The
first school was taught by Anna HORTON, at Corfu, in 1811. Samuel CARR
kept the first inn, at West Pembroke, in 1809; John BALL the first store,
at the same place, in 1812. The first grist and saw mills were erected by
Samuel CARR, in 1808/9. The first Church (Cong.) was organized by Rev.
Joshua SPENCER, the first preacher, in 1810, at Long's Corners. Rev. Mr.
HOTCHKIN says: "Rev. Hugh WALLIS removed his family into the town in the
latter part of the year 1816, or the early part of the next year, and
continued to reside there for many years. The author believes that he
organized the Church either before or shortly after the removal of his
family into the place."
The population of the town in 1865 was 2,825, and its area 26,183 acres.
There are 14 school districts, employing the same number of teachers. The
number of the school population is 1,031; the number attending school is
796; the average attendance, 422, and the amount expended for school
purposes during the year ending September 30, 1868, was $5,126.68.
Back to Alabama
Back to Genesee Main Page