Transcibed by Kristy Lawrie Gravlin - firstname.lastname@example.org
The Town of
Genesee County, New York
as taken from The Gazetteer and Business Directory of Genesee County, N.Y.
for 1869-70; Compiled and published by Hamilton Child, Syracuse, NY, 1869.
Pavilion was formed from Covington (Wyoming Co.) May 19, 1841. Portions
were annexed from LeRoy and Stafford, March 22, 1842. It is the south-east
corner town of the County. The surface is hilly in the south and
undulating in the north. Oatka Creek flows north through the town, a
little west of the center. The soil is a fertile gravelly loam, underlaid
by clay. Fruits are extensively cultivated.
Pavilion, (p. v.) situated on Oatka Creek, near the south border of the
town, contains five churches, viz., Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian,
Universalist and Roman Catholic; a hotel several stores and mechanic shops
and about 200 inhabitants.
Pavilion Center (p. v.) on Oatka Creek, near the center of the town,
contains a Union Church, a hotel, several shops of various kinds and about
Union Corners is a hamlet containing a Methodist Church.
There are in the town a grist mill, a saw mill, two heading mills, a rake
factory and a broom factory.
The first settlement was made in 1809, by Peter CROSSMAN, James McWITHEY,
Solomon TERRILL, Reuben BURNHAM, Joshua SHUMWAY and Rowland PERRY, settled
in 1810. Mr. Perry is now living and has resided in the same place since
his first arrival. Sylvanus YOUNG, Elijah PHELPS, Amasa ALLEN, Leman
BRADLEY, Cyril SHUMWAY, Page RUSSELL, Samuel BISHOP, Loomis WALKER and
Isaac WALKER came in 1811. Leman Bradley served in the war of 1812. Mary
HILL, who afterwards became his wife, was one of the first school teachers.
His father, J. F. M. BRADLEY, died December 11, 1868, at the age of one
hundred years. Mr. Bishop is still living; he was in the war of 1812.
Loomis Walker was also in the war and now receives a pension. Chester
HANNUM came in 1816 and has always resided where he first located. Elijah
CHENEY came in 1814, was in the war of 1812, taken prisoner and sent to
Halifax, where he was kept until peace was declared. He was discharged at
Boston without money and was compelled to beg on his way home. Among the
other early settlers were Elisha ROGERS, Lovell COBB, James TOMPKINS and
several brothers by the name of BURGESS.
The first death was that of a child of Reuben BURNHAM, in 1812. The first
school was taught in 1813 by Laura TERRILL, from Vermont. Seth SMITH kept
the first inn, in 1815, and Horace BATES the first store, in 1817, at the
village of Pavilion. The first mill was erected by Bial LATHROP, on Oatka
Creek, in 1816. The first church (Universalist) was erected at Pavilion
village in 1832.
The population in 1865 was 1,611, and the area is 22,728 acres.
There are ten school districts, employing the same number of teachers. The
number of the school population is 446; the number attending school, 372;
the average attendance, 218, and the amount expended for school purposes
during the year ending September 30, 1868, was $3,012.10.
Back to Alabama
Back to Genesee Main Page