GEORGE SHAW, SR
Chuck Wilson - WilsonCcwilson@aol.com
All that is currently known about George Shaw, Sr. is that he
came from Massachusetts, settled in Attica, Wyoming County, New York,
and married Jane (maiden name unknown) about 1815. They had eight
children as follows:
1. Cassandra P. Shaw, born Saturday, 14 September 1816.
2. John Shaw, born Tuesday, 27 July 1819. Died Saturday, 29 February
3. Two daughters, born Tuesday, 14 August 1821. Died, Thursday, 23
4. George Shaw, born Sunday, 18 May 1823. Married Mary Jane McWain
1851. Died, Tuesday, 26 August 1902.
5. Warren Shaw, born Saturday, 29 Oct 1825, married Mary (Nannie) Burton
of Kentucky on 9 January 1855. He died 2 May 1902. The 1860 Missouri
census for Platte County, City of Weston lists Warren Shaw as a furniture
dealer. The same census shows Emma Shaw, his daughter, age 3 attending
school and living with J. P. Erickson, a druggist. Warren had
four children: Emma Shaw, born 11 Sep 1856, married Charles Sumner 23 Jan
1878, died 5 Aug 1939; Charles C. Shaw, born 15 Oct 1860,
died 5 April 1868; Belle Shaw, born 17 Jan 1865, married Calvin
Topliff Wright 4 May 1892; Edward Robinson Shaw born 29 Jul 1870 married
Mary Baker 22 Aug 1900. "Corfu. EDWARD R. SHAW, 67, of
Chicago, publisher of "The Practical Engineer” magazine and a
native of Corfu, died at a sanitarium in Tucson, Arizona at 6 o’clock last
evening following a long illness with arthritis. Born Corfu,
29 Jul 1870, son of Warren and Mary Burton Shaw, he was employed as
a young man by Geo. A. Porter of Corfu and also worked in Rochester
and Buffalo before going to New York where he worked for the
J. S. McGraw Publishing Co. Survived by his wife Mary Baker Shaw
of Rockford, IL, 2 sisters, Mrs. Emma Sumner of Corfu and Mrs.
Belle Wright of Alden and several nieces and nephews."
6. Edwin Shaw, born Tuesday, 9 March 1830. Married Ellen McWain on
10 April 1859. Died Saturday, 24 March 1866.
7. O. Fayette Shaw, born Monday, 16 November 1835. Lived in Dansville,
Back to Genesee Archives