GENESEE COUNTY, NEW YORK
Byron was divided from the town of Bergen April 4, 1820 and was named for Lord Byron.
VILLAGES / AREAS:
Hamlet of Byron, which in the early days was called Byron Center
South Byron - called Brusselville in early years,named for an early settler, Elijah Shumway, who had a “brussel head.”
North Byron - “Pumpkin Hill” for a hotel and tavern sign in the shape and color, of a pumpkin.
ORGANIZATIONS / PEOPLE:
Town of Byron Historians
Bob and Beth Wilson
6451 Mill Pond Rd.
Byron, New York 14422-0201
(585) 548-9008 - Byron-Historian@Juno.com
Byron Historical Museum
East Main Street, Byron, NY
Open: Sundays, June - September, 2 pm - 4:30 pm
By Appointment: (585) 548-2807, 548-9008
In 1967, The German Luthern Concordia Church disbanded, giving the church to the Town of Byron to be used as a Museum by the Byron Historical Society. The museum opened in May, 1967. The official ribbon-cutting ceremony
took place on October 24, 1968 with Russell Gillett, former Supervisor as the
Some pews were left in the Museum as well as the old round oak wood
stove, stovepipe, large kerosene chandelier, alter and sacraments, organ,
baptismal font and lectern. In 1986 a Carriage Building in back of the Gillam Room was built to display agricultural artifacts, maps, a bell from the old Byron School and a showcase of items from former Byron businesses.
The museum is open to the public from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Members of the Historical Society are hosts and hostesses every Sunday
afternoon from 2 pm - 4 pm.
Byron Town Hall
Town Clerk - Jeanne A. Freeman
P.O. Box 9, 7028 Byron Holley Rd., Byron, NY 14422
(585) 548 - 7123
North Byron Cemetery - Route 237 -incorporated on April 29, 1856. The first burial was in 1817. For many years this was a private cemetery- it is still in use.
Byron Cemetery ( Byron Center Cemetery) - incorporated in 1856 - On the corner of Route 262 and Swamp Road - several Revolutionary War Soldiers are buried here.
(still in use) First Burial 1815
Sodom Cemetery (Walker Family Cemetery) - located on the Walker farm and has 126 marked graves - first burial 1811 - located on the West side of Byron Road, north of Walkers Corners Road - (no longer in use.) First Burial, 1811 - Last, 1911
Merriman Farm Cemetery - Between Byron Center and Bergen Rd, just west of Bergen, originally an old family cemetery on Frank Bower Farm, later owned by Henry W. Merriamn, abandoned, no stones left(reinterred in extreme NW corner Byron Center, all in a row)
There are some cemetery records kept at the Byron Museum, although Byron and
North Byron Cemeteries are not up to date.
Byron Presbyterian, 6293 West Main, Byron, NY 14422
Jerico Fellowship, 5775 Byron Holley Rd., Byron, NY 14422
585 - 548 - 2480
South Byron United Methodist, 7526 Byron Stafford Road
South Byron, NY 14557 585 - 548 - 2450
St. Michael's Roman Catholic, Byron Stafford Road, South Byron, NY 14557
German Lutheran Concordia church was first organized by a group of
Lutherans on May 15, 1887. The remaining congregation of about 19 members disbanded in 1967. the building was donated to the town and used for the museum.
Gillian, Shumway, Forsyth, Jones, Green, Nobles, Vanderpane, Sands, Patten, Barker, Walker
The Gazetteer and Business Directory of Genesee
County, N.Y. for 1869-70; Compiled and published by Hamilton Child,
Syracuse, NY, 1869.
Many thanks go to Lorene for emailing me lots of Byron /Bergen information.
You are our
visitor-- since January 20, 1997 -- thanks for stopping by!
This page last updated--
Back to Main Page