Beers Gazeteer and Biographical Record of Genesee Co.,
N.Y.1788-1890 Vose & Co., Pub., 1890
Transcribed by Linda Schmidt - email@example.com
BETHANY, as will be seen by the list of the early settlers, was among the
earliest towns which invited the pioneers to its rich lands. The most of
the settlements were made before the War of 1812. On June 8th of that year
the town was formed, being taken from Batavia. The land is rolling in the
upper half and somewhat hilly as the lower bounds are reached. It is a well
watered section, Black Creek, Tonawanda Creek, and White Creek being the
In 1803 John TORREY, Orsamus KELLOGG (who had a child born that year), Charles
CULVER, John DEWEY, L.D. and Samuel PRINDLE, Nathaniel PINNEY, Jedediah RIGGS,
M. SCOTT, Horace SHEPARD, O. FLETCHER, David HALL, Capt. George LATHROP,
and Richard PEARSON either settled on lands in the town or declared their
intention to do so; and in 1804 many others came; the sound of the axe was
daily heard in the forests, and a musical and welcome sound it must have
been in those days to all those who had determined to deny themselves so
many comforts in order to make a home in the new Genesee country. Capt. LATHROP,
who located in the center of the town, is said to be the third person who
came. He was a captain in the War of 1812, and died on his farm, aged 92
years. Solomon LATHROP, who came in 1804, lost his wife about 1816. He went
on a visit (soon after) to Cattaraugus County, and was never heard from.
Henry LATHROP located in 1804, and died on his place, aged 85 years. Richard
PEARSON, Sr., came from Lyme, Conn., to Genesee County about 1803, bought
155 acres of land for $426.25, and returned to Connecticut, coming again
to the county in 1806. He returned to Connecticut again in 1807, and finally
came to the county in 1812, in which year he bought 50 acres in the Craigie
tract for $200. He married and settled on his land in 1815, coming with a
neighbor with an ox-team and one horse, each family having one child. He
died on his farm in 1853, aged 71 years. His son lives on the old homestead.
Richard PECK, among the earliest settlers (1806), was a lieutenant in Col.
RUMSEY’s regiment in the War of 1812; he was at Chestnut Ridge and Black
Rock. The old commission signed by Gov. TOMPKINS is in the possession of
his son, who lives in Stafford. Another son, Benjamin F., lives on the old
The LINCOLN family were very prominent in the early settlement. Jedediah,
who came in 1805, when last heard from was over 96 years of age. He was living
in Illinois with a son. Peter PUTNAM located in the northwestern part of
the town in 1805 or 1806.
Because of the valuable water privileges on the Little Tonawanda, in the
southwest part of the town, there was greater activity there than elsewhere.
This locality (now Linden) was first called Gad-Pouch, because it is supposed
"gadding women" were more numerous than elsewhere. The name "Linden" was
first suggested by a clerk in the store at that place, and the first sign
was put up over the mill, Judge Isaac WILSON being the postmaster and a justice.
John WILDER, a pioneer of Attica, built many mills, among which was one,
in 1810, for Judge WILSON at this place. This mill was enlarged in 1833 by
Daniel CALKINS. It was the first grist-mill that served the inhabitants of
the northern part of Wyoming County, and a great portion of the towns of
Darien, Alexander, and Bethany. About the year 1809 Calvin BARROWS came in,
and made the pioneers glad by fitting up a carding and woolen mill. He came
from Massachusetts, and live in the town 60 years. He built a log house in
the same year (which was burned), and lived in it six years. He rebuilt about
1817 where Sexturs, a son, now lives. Mr. BARROWS was a Master Mason and
a member of Olive Branch Lodge, which met at HUGGINS’s tavern after the troubles
One COLES built a saw-mill in Linden about 1808. There was a fall of 24 feet
to the dam, and owing to insecure foundation this mill tumbled over that
distance and hurt some of the operatives. Another saw mill was built, which
was burned. Several fires have occurred in the place from time to time, among
which have been the stone distillery (started by Nathaniel EASTMAN), which
had also been used as a cooper shop by COLLINS; the old store built by WILSON
& DEWEY; the railroad depot in 1860; the flour-mill in 1879; and the
W.H. BARROWS house. After the stone distillery was destroyed a wooden one
was built in 1825, and a stone one in 1838. Some of the owners of the old
(WILSON) mill site have been George PERRY (an old settler), COLLINS, REMER
& TUTTLE, REMER & BARROWS, and W.H. BARROWS. The latter also started
a cabinet shop in 1837, continuing it for 15 years, when he kept a store
for four years, and then moved to Attica.
Among the store-keepers were Judge WILSON, Horace TRIPMAN, WEBSTER (who also
had an ashery), and COLLINS. One GARDNER also had a store and ashery in 1820.
The first tavern there was kept by Joseph CHAMBERLAIN, in a house built by
Mr. LUSK. E. and Jeduthan FAUNCE in 1835 kept a tavern in the house owned
by Myron KEMP.
The first settlers who arrived at Linden were Calvin BARROWS, Samuel JOLLS,
Alexander GRIMES, Jacob GRIMES, Andrew GRIMES, Rufus MUNGER, Jesse FAY, Matthew
ALGER, Sanford BARROWS, Israel EVEREST, Nathan BLOOD, and a few others. A
Mr. TOWNER was an early miller. At the time of the advent of the railroad,
about 1850 or 1852, business was not very brisk in the place, there being
only a grist-mill, cider and shingle-mill, and a cooper shop. In 1869 one
BUNCE had a tannery here, DURGY & HUGGINS and FAUNCE & WHALEY had
stores, W.E. KEMP a barrel factory, S. METCALF a saw-mill, and QUALE Brothers
a flour and saw-mill. It is supposed Aaron BAILEY, in 1828, taught the first
school in Linden, but Matilda WEDGE, in 1808, is credited with being the
first teacher in the town.
CANADA, a small hamlet on Black Creek, in the eastern part of the town, claims
to have had a mill erected in 1808, by one BENNETT, one of a family who came
in 1805, and for some time the place was called "Bennett’s Mills." There
was a tavern here in early times. No business of importance is transacted
at the locality at present.
Sylvester LINCOLN, in 1805, had a tavern, said to be the first in town; the
same one, it is presumed, which, in 1821, was kept by C.J. LINCOLN, who was
also postmaster and colonel of militia, and where the Masonic meetings of
the Olive Branch Lodge were frequently held after their removal from Batavia.
B.R. BROWN also had a tavern about 1825, and one L. BROWN, in l828, kept
an inn on the new State road. Nathaniel HUGGINS also kept a tavern, built
in 1828, and kept by him until his death in 1852, where the Masons met. This
is now the residence of Thomas J. HARDING. Mr. HUGGINS was a postmaster in
1832. W.H. RUMSEY had a tavern in 1841. Nelson BLOOD had one in 1859, and
very early Buell BROWN kept an inn. R.A. TAYLOR, in 1864, kept the hotel
at East Bethany, and Davis GRAY kept the same place in 1869. Elisha HURLBURT
opened a store in 1808, the same year Sylvester LINCOLN opened his tavern,
each in a log house.
The postoffice at Bethany was established in 1825 by Orange ALLEN. Phineas
SMITH was postmaster in 1826; E.C. DIBBLE in 1829; C.J. LINCOLN in 1831;
and Harvey PRINDLE later. The firm of CHIPMAN & LUSK was in business
in 1830, OWEN & PRINDLE in 1844, and CARLOS A. HUGGINS in 1869.
A prominent early settler was Richard POWERS, a Mason, who died in 1849,
aged 80 years. His son Blanchard was also an active and prominent man, especially
in Masonic matters. The old lodge often met at his house.
The Genesee Manual Labor Seminary was chartered in 1832, with a capital of
$20,000. Subscriptions to the amount of $5,516 enabled the organizers to
erect the building. R. WHITING was the principal from 1834 to 1841, and Joseph
HURTY until 1844.
The Genesee County alms-house is located in the south part of the town, on
roads 40 and 41. It has room for 100 inmates, and is a well managed institution.
The superintendents are C. CROSMAN, of Alexander; Dwight DIMOCK, of Pembroke;
and H.O. BOSTWICK, of Batavia. Benjamin W. HARTWELL, of Pavilion, is the
keeper, and Dr. Ganson W. CROFF the resident physician. Connected with the
house is a farm of 200 acres in a fine state of cultivation, and is valued
at $11,500. An inventory taken in 1889 showed a total value of $18,000. In
1890 there were 73 inmates, the estimated cost of keeping which was 15 cents
per day, exclusive of the products of the farm. This includes salaries, excepting
that of superintendent. Wheat, corn, oats, and pork are raised on the place.
The value of the products raised in 1889 was $2,587. In 1832 James THAYER,
aged 84 years, and Anny DANFORTH, aged 86, were married here.
LINDEN, the first village of importance, is located on the N.Y., L.E. &
W. Railroad, has 35 houses, one school, three stores, one wagon shop, one
blacksmith shop, a grist-mill (built by George PERRY in 1881), with three
runs of stones, one saw-mill, with a capacity of 3,000 feet of lumber per
day, one cooper shop, built by Daniel MERRITT, with a capacity of 10,000
barrels, and one cider-mill, with a capacity of 4,000 barrels annually. The
village is without church privileges.
EAST BETHANY, the next village of importance, is located on the D., L. &
W. Railroad, in the northeastern part of the town. There are 24 houses with
about 108 inhabitants. It is a post village, has a Presbyterian Church, a
school, one hotel, two stores, a harness shop, a blacksmith shop, and a cider-mill,
the latter having a capacity of 400 barrels per year. There is now building
(May, 1890) a fine school-house, which will cost about $1,500.
BETHANY CENTER, also a post village, is south of the center of the town,
and has a Presbyterian and Baptist church, two stores, a blacksmith shop,
a town hall, a school, two dressmakers, about 25 houses, and 85 inhabitants.
LITTLE CANADA (formerly Bennett’s), in the northeastern part of the town,
has a Free Methodist Church, a school, a grist-mill, with a capacity of 150
bushels of grain per day, a saw-mill, with a capacity of 2,000 feet of lumber
per day, and a wagon shop.
WEST BETHANY (p.o) is a hamlet in the west part of the town. It has a grist
mill, located on road 29, built by Nathaniel BROWN in 1811, and now owned
by Joseph CRAWFORD, having a capacity of 50 bushels of wheat and 200 bushels
of feed per day. The village has also a grocery store, a Freewill Baptist
Church, a blacksmith shop, and six houses.
Bethany was the only town in Genesee County but what received a donation
from the Holland Land Co. of 100 acres of land for religious purposes. The
earliest record we have of religious services is that of the Freewill Baptists,
the Rev. Nathaniel BROWN being instrumental in organizing a church in 1809.
In 1839 they put up a wooden edifice. They now have 82 members in the society,
which is presided over by Hiram G. SCHOONOVER. Their property is valued at
The Methodists held camp-meetings at "Bennett’s" or Little Canada, as early
as 1810, and Benjamin BARLOW, a local preacher, held services in the town
in 1811, as did also Father WALLER and Brother HOWE, who came from Wyoming
County. They also built the church now owned by the Free Methodists. This
society was organized by Jonathan K. BARLOW, the pioneer physician, and held
its meetings in the same building with the Presbyterians, which was afterwards
used as an academy. A society was organized in 1820, and one January 7, 1832,
but soon became extinct. A Bethany Union Church Society was organized in
At Little Canada a Free Methodist Society was organized and the church, formerly
built by the regular Methodists, was purchased, but we cannot learn when.
The church is small in membership, there being now only about 17 persons,
with C.W. BACON, pastor.
The first regular Baptist Church, located at Bethany Center, was organized
May 7, 1820, with 26 members, and John BLAIN was its pastor. In 1826 a building
was erected, and the same is still occupied by the society. They now have
58 members, and Rev. T.M. SCARFF is the pastor. Their property is valued
at $2,000. The Sunday-school, organized in 1829, now has about 75 members.
October 20, 1829, a Presbyterian Church was organized at Bethany Center by
Messrs. WHITING, WATTS, BLISS, and a few others. Rev. W. WHITING was the
first pastor. They built a structure, of wood, in 1839. At present they have
50 members, and about 60 scholars in the Sunday-school.
On June 17, 1817, a Congregational church was organized at East Bethany by
John BLISS, a missionary from Connecticut, with 11 members. The first pastor
was Rev. Reuben HARD, who came in 1823. The society built a brick edifice
in 1824, costing about $3,000. The same year they adopted the Presbyterian
form of government. In 1825 there were 23 members; in 1834, 58; in 1843,
65; and in 1846, 35. The ministers have been Revs. WILCOX, KNIFFEN, MILES,
SMALLER, CLARK, BARRIS, and others. The membership is now only 16, and the
Sunday school has about 70 scholars. The Rev. W.M. MODESTTI is pastor.
A protestant Episcopal church was built about 1826 called Zion church. At
the laying of the corner-stone, July 4th, Judge MITCHELL delivered the oration,
and Masonic ceremonies aided in making the occasion interesting. In 1845
Bishop DELANCEY visited the church, at which time Rev. M. OAKS was the minister.
A Rev. Mr. ATWATER was a minister at one time, but we fail to learn but little
about the society.
The following are names of some of the early settlers of Bethany, with the
date of settlement:
In 1803: Charles CULVER, John DEWEY, O. FLETCHER, David HALL, Orsamus KELLOGG,
Solomon KINGSLEY, Capt. G. LATHROP, L.D. and Samuel PRINDLE, Richard PEARSON,
Sr., Nathaniel PINNEY, Jedediah RIGGS, M. SCOTT, Horace SHEPARD, and John
In 1804: Peter ADLEY, John BOYNTON, William and W.B. COGGESHALL, James and
Jerry COWDREY, Lewis DISBROW, Peleg DOUGLASS, N. EASTMAN, Elisha GIDDINGS,
John GRIMES, C. GLASS, Joseph HAWKS, Thomas HAEDING, John HALSTEAD, Alanson
JONES, Henry and Solomon LATHROP, Sylvester LINCOLN, Sr., John ROBERTS, John
and Phineas SMITH, Israel SHEARER, David TYRRILL, Joel S. WILKINSON, and
Isaac R. and William WILLIAMS.
In 1805: David ANDERSON, Patrick ALVIN, Israel and Abel BUELL, Erastus, James,
and Jeremiah BENNETT, Joseph BARTLETT, Eli BRISTOL, Jonathan and Jason BIXBY,
John CHAMBERS, Ezekiel FAY, John GREENOUGH, John HUNTINGTON, Thomas HALSTEAD,
Jedediah LINCOLN, Asher LAMBERTON, Gershom ORVIS, Peter PUTNAM, Jr., Eli
PERRY, A. ROBBINS, Alfred ROSE, Richard STILES, Josiah SOUTHARD, Elisha WALLACE,
Peter WILKINSON, Isaac WILSON, and Philo WHITCOMB.
In 1806: Joseph ADGATE, Elisha ANDREWS, Lewis BARNEY, D.W. BANNISTER, Peter
and Chester DAVIDSON, Eben EGGLESTON, Moses GOODRICH, Liberty JUDD, Henry
RUMSEY, Thomas STARKWEATHER, David STEWART, Joseph SHEDD, and Eben WILSON.
In 1807: Heman and Buell BROWN, and Sylvester LINCOLN, Jr.
In 1808: __ COLE, Elisha HURLBURT, Moses PAGE, and Eliza PECK.
In 1809: Elder Nathaniel BROWN, Calvin BARROWS, and Eleazer FAUNCE.
In 1810: Patience KINGSLEY, O. WALKER, and W. WAITE, Sr.
In 1811: Israel COOK, Alexander GRIMES, Daniel MARSH, Jesse RUMSEY, Charles
SMEAD, and Judge WILSON.
In 1812: Israel FAY and Robert LOUNSBURY.
In 1813: Abner ASHLEY, S. BOWERS, Josiah CHURCHILL, Capt. Lodowick CHAMPLIN,
W.R. DIXON, John EASTLAND, I. EVEREST, John METCALF, William ODIORNE, Harvey
PRINDLE, John PAGE, and Nathan RUMSEY.
In 1814: Thomas ADGATE, Charles DIXON, T. FAY, Alanson D. LORD, Rufus MUNGER,
and W.F. NORTON.
In 1815: James BENNETT, Jr., Charles BRISBEE, Richard B. FRENCH, John GREEN,
John LINCOLN, A. PARSONS, J. SAUNDERS, James STEWART, and Benjamin SMITH.
In 1816: G. COTTRELL, J. ROLFE, and Asabel and James SHEPARD.
In 1817: B. BARLOW and Daniel LYDE.
In 1818: David MERRITT and Jared S. LORD.
In 1819: S. DEBOW and ____ GARDNER.
In 1824: James BAKER.
In 1825: Orange ALLEN and R.R. BROWN.
In 1828: Aaron BAILEY.
In 1829: E.C. DIBBLE.
In 1832: Nathaniel HUGGINS.
The following came prior to 1825: Richard POWERS, Ira WAITE, Matilda WEDGE,
Samuel JOLLES, and C.J. LINCOLN
Our readers will find some interesting facts connected with the following
sketches of the present prominent living residents and their ancestors, the
The late Martin ARMBREWSTER was born November 24, 1819, in BADEN-BADEN, Germany.
About 1846 or ’47 he married Frances SNNEEFF, of the same place, and in l854
they came to the United States, locating first in Buffalo, then in Batavia,
and finally in the town of Bethany. They had 15 children, of whom three died
in infancy, Louisa died aged about 22 years, and 11 survive, namely: Caroline,
Mary, Francis, Ezra, Elizabeth, Sophia, Fred, Frank, Jennie, John, and Ella
M. Mr. ARMBREWSTER died September 26, 1879. Mrs. ARMBREWSTER is living on
road 31, in this town.
Robert BENNINGTON, father of John R., was born in England, and was a resident
of Yorkshire and Lancaster. January 14, 1822, when 21 years old, he came
to America and located in New Lisbon, Otsego County, N.Y. In 1847 he married
Eliza KENYON, of Edmeston, Otsego County. They had 10 children, namely; Charles,
Henry G., William, John R., Edwin, Harriet, Phebe, Alfred, Agnes E., and
Mary L. John R. was born in the town of New Lisbon, Otsego County, September
28, 1852. He was educated in the public schools until he was 20 years of
age. He is a farmer and breeder of grade sheep, and at present is superintendent
of the James H. HUME farm, on road 2, of 411 acres. February 11, 1880, he
married Jane E., only daughter of Thomas RATHONE, of Burlington, Otsego County,
and they have one girl, Ethel H., born February 23, 1882.
John BOYLE was born in Tipperary County, Ireland, in 1846, and came to America
in 1863. In 1867 he married Kate DOWER, of County Waterford, Ireland. They
were married in New York city, and soon after returned to Ireland, where
they remained five years, when they came to this country and located in this
town. They have nine children, viz.: Patrick W., John R., Lawrence, Mary,
Thomas, Kate, Robert, Julia, and Edwin. They reside on road 16 corner of
15. Mrs. Kate BOYLE is a thrifty business woman.
Rev.Nathaniel BROWN, grandfather of Wilder and Walter, came from Strafford,
Orange County, Vt., in 1809, and located at West Bethany, on the place now
owned by John S. BALDWIN. He was the first Freewill Baptist minister west
of the Genesee River. He organized the first church of that denomination
there in 1809. He was a pensioner of the Revolution. Rev. Mr. BROWN, after
coming to West Bethany, preached for the people there the remainder of his
life without compensation. On one occasion he was induced to take one dollar,
and before he arrived home he gave it away to a poor man. Col. Daniel BROWN,
his youngest son, was born at the old home in Orange County, Vt., August
10, 1806, and came in 1810 with his parents to the home his father had located
in 1809. He received a fair education for that early day, and was a man well
versed in all matters concerning the welfare of his country and county. He
was a fluent public speaker, and was colonel of the 16th N.Y. Cav. He first
married Julia LOUNSBURY, by whom he had three children, Jane, Laura, and
Marquis. For his second wife he married Elanora A. COOK, and they had nine
children, viz.: Wilder, Julia, Emerette, Cassius, Walter, Sarah, Abigail,
Marquis, 2d, and Alice. Wilder, born May 28, 1841, received a common school
education, and is a carpenter and farmer by occupation. November 29, 1865,
he married Frances E., youngest daughter of Charles LORISH, of Linden. They
have one son, Cassius Staley, born April 3, 1875. Col. Daniel BROWN died
March 31, 1879. Walter BROWN was born February 13, 1847, and received a good
education. He has a good intellect with perceptive faculties well developed,
and is a farmer and general dealer. December 31, 1872, he married H. JENNE,
youngest daughter of the late Harry G. LINCOLN, of Bethany. They have one
son, Leon H.D., born May 14, 1884. Mr. and Mrs. BROWN are living on road
15, adjoining the Col. BROWN homestead.
Heman BROWN, Sr., grandfather of Benjamin R., was a soldier in the Revolutionary
war. Heman, Jr., came with his parents from Strafford, Vt., to this town
when he was 13 years old. He was born May 30, 1794. He was in the War of
1812. They located at Brown’s Corners, road 17 corner 19. He married twice,
first, Maria HUNTINGTON, formerly of Litchfield, Conn. They had four children,
of whom two sons are deceased, and two daughters survive, namely: Mary and
Harriet. For his second wife Mr. BROWN married, February 10, 1842, Sophia
Ann CONKLIN, formerly of Steuben County, N.Y. They had four children, of
whom tow daughters are deceased, and the sons survive, viz.: Lee E. and Benjamin
R. Benjamin R. was born November 13, 1848. He received a good education.
September 24, 1874, he married Celia S., second daughter of Charles and Elizabeth
SNELL, of his native town. They have had six children, four of whom survive,
namely: Charles H., Fernie E., Jesse R., and Bessie M. Mr. and Mrs. BROWN
reside on land which is father bought in 1821, on road 19 corner 27. Mr.
BROWN's mother resides with him, being a pensioner of the War of 1812, aged
Calvin BARROWS, father of Sexturs T., was born near Worcester, Mass., in
1783, and came to Seneca Falls, N.Y., in 1808. He married Olive PATTERSON,
of Waterloo, Seneca County, and soon after moved to Bushville, in this town,
where he remained two years, and was in charge of the cloth factory there
for Mr. BUSH. In 1809 he came to Linden, when there were only three houses
in the place. He built a dam for the purpose of utilizing the water power
of Little Tonawanda Creek, and erected a wool-carding and cloth-dressing
factory, which was completed in 1810. They had seven children, namely: John,
Volney, William, Franklin, Sexturs T., Jeanett, and Evander H. Sexturs T.,
born in Linden, December 25, 1819, was educated in the common schools, and
worked in the carding-mill 10 years. December 21, 1842, he married Rachel,
third daughter of John MERRITT, of Middlebury, Wyoming County. They have
four children, viz.: Margaretta J., Olive R., George N., and Charles C. Margaretta
J. married Hiram O. REDDISH, of Wyoming village; Olive R. married Buel ROGERS,
of Linden, now of Attica; Charles C. married Aurelia J. RICHARDSON, also
of Linden. Mr. BARROWS has live on the old homestead 70 years.
Amos BLOOD, grandfather of Oscar W., was born March 11, 1763, and his father
was killed in the Revolutionary war. One of Amos’s sons, Nason, was born
November 4, 1796, at Haverhill Corners, Grafton County, N.H. He received
a good education, and was a farmer by occupation. He came with his father
to Alexander, this county, when 15 years old, and February 28, 1822, he married,
first, Rhoda EVEREST, of Bethany. He served in the War of 1812. They had
six children, as follows: Nelson, Niles, Warren, Obed, Luman, and Amos. For
his second wife he married Mrs. Eunice (KNOWLTON) WEST, October 1, 1840.
They had one son, Oscar W., born December 17, 1843, on the farm upon which
he resides and owns. Oscar W. received a common school and academic education,
until he was 21 years of age. May 9, 1867, he married Mary L., oldest daughter
of Robert EASTLAND, of Bethany, and they have six children, viz.: Eunice
E., Jessie L., Charles R., Walter E., Mary J., and Monroe T. Eunice E. is
a student at the Geneseo Normal School, and is also a school teacher. The
family all reside at home. Mr. BLOOD is a successful fruit grower and breeder
of thoroughbred Merino sheep, and is one of Bethany’s enterprising farmers,
residing on road 33.
Mark BASSERT, born in Baden, Germany, April 22, 1829, came with his mother
to America in 1847, and located at Batavia, N.Y. December 3, 1853, he married
Catherine MILLER, of Germany. They have three children, Louis, George, and
Ursilla. Louis married Anna M. DENNIS, of Stafford; George married Lydia
WORST, also of Stafford; and Ursilla married Urbon BOTMER, of Batavia. Mr.
BASSERT served his adopted country in Co. G, 8th N.Y.H.A. Vols., and was
discharged at the close of the war. He was wounded in the right shoulder
June 16, 1864 in front of Petersburg, while charging the enemy’s works. Mr.
and Mrs. BASSERT reside in the village of East Bethany.
Michael BURNS, father of James, was born in Wicklow, on the east coast of
Ireland, about 1833, and married Elizabeth DUFFY, of the same place. They
had 10 children. He came to America in 1852 to prepare a home for his family;
his wife and three of his children followed in 1854. James, who was born
at the old home June 25, 1843, came to America about 1856, and located in
the town of Bethany. About November 1, 1872, he married May FROLICKER, of
East Bethany, and they had one son, Frank M., born October 23, 1873. Mrs.
BURNS died October 24, 1887. Mr. BURNS and his son reside on road 14 in this
John BURKEL, born in Arlin county, Belgium, October 15, 1850, came to America
in 1870, landing in New York, February 22d. He finally located in Byron,
Geensee County. May 10, 1874, he married Barbara, oldest daughter of John
and Kate COLTAX, of Sheldon, Wyoming County. They have had three children,
namely: John, Jr., born May 20, 1875; Lizzie, who died aged one year and
nine months; and Sylvester, born September 29, 1882. Mrs. BURKEL’s parents
are of French extraction. Her father, John COLTAX, came to America from France
in 1846, when he was 21 years old, and located in Wyoming County, N.Y. He
married Kate COLTAX, of his native country, and they had seven children,
viz: John, Michael, Barbara, Mary, Libbie, Anna, and Margaret. Mr. and Mrs.
BURKEL reside on road 6, in Bethany.
James BAKER, father of Thomas S., was born in Butternut, Otsego County, N.Y.,
in September, 1804, and came to Stafford, Genesee County, in 1824. They had
four children, viz: Joseph R., Thomas S., Sarah P., and James P. Thomas S.
was educated in the common schools. November 10, 1854, he married Hannah
R., youngest daughter of John REED, of Pavilion, and they have one son, John
A., born February 14, 1857. John A. was educated in the common schools, and
March 9, 1880, he married Libbie A. SMITH, of Le Roy. They have had two sons
and one daughter, of whom the latter died in infancy. Edgar T. and Clarence
S. survive. Mr. and Mrs. BAKER reside on road 36.
Ambrose BOOTH, father of Fred A., was born in Steuben County, N.Y., January
24, 1834. He was educated in the public schools, and is a farmer by occupation.
April 6, 1857, he married Charity G. HOVEY, of Cattaraugus County. They have
three children, namely: Adna J., Frank D., and Fred A. The latter was born
in Dale, Wyoming County, March 14, 1865. He received a good education, and
is a farmer. August 9, 1888, he married Sadie L. youngest daughter of Philip
MOYER, of Alexander. They reside near the village of Linden.
Adam CACNER was born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, about 1776. He married
Mary A. WINTERMAN, and they had seven children, three of whom were born in
Germany. George, born December 25, 1841, came to Bethany when he was 12 years
old, and made his home with Israel E. JUDD. December 18, 1863, he enlisted
in Co. L., 8th N.Y. H.A. Vols., and was discharged from Zekel’s General Hospital,
May 27, 1865. He was in the battles of the Wilderness, Cold Harbor, and in
front of Petersburg, where he was disabled June 23, 1864, by a gun-shot wound
in the leg. December 25, 1865, he married Sarah Jane, oldest daughter of
Edward SMITH, formerly of Canada. They have six children, namely: Mary O.,
Kattie M., Frank J., Emily S., Clary A., and Charles W. Mr. and Mrs. CACNER
are residing in this town on road 20.
John COVEY, born in Saratoga County, N.Y., in 1787, of English ancestry,
married Betsey ALTHOUSE, in 1809. Alvah COVEY, his eldest son, was born at
Half Moon, Saratoga County, July 22, 1810, and married, February 6, 1837,
Jane, daughter of John HARDICK. She was born September 3, 1816. Her father
was born in Athens, Greene County, in 1783. Ten children were born to Alvah
and Jane (HARDICK) COVEY, five of whom survive, namely: Alvah S., Charlotte
I., Eugene, Emma J., and Frank H. The latter, born April 9, 1861, in Penfield,
Monroe County, received a common school and commercial education, and was
associated in business with his father, who came to Penfield about 1838 and
was a successful nurseryman there. By energy, perseverance, and strict integrity
he laid the foundation for his afterwards ample fortune. July 13, 1882, Frank
H. COVEY married Minnie J., third daughter of Henry and Louisa (GROOM) PALMER,
of Glenville, N.Y. She was born in Clifton Park, Saratoga County, December
18, 1860. They have a daughter, Minnie Ethel, born September 20, 1883. Mr.
COVEY came to Bethany in the spring of 1888.
Elisha CHADWICK, born in Lyme, Conn., June 2, 1788, married Betsey RUSSELL,
of the same place, February 15, 1815. They came to Bethany about 1823, with
an ox-team and cart. They had eight children, namely: Nancy M., Daniel R.,
Israel M., Mary E., Harriet, Joseph H., J. Edward, and David R. J. Edward
was born April 1, 1829, in this town. He received a public school and academic
education, and September 9, 1857, married Emeline M. DUTTON, of Pavilion,
who was born August 6, 1830. Mr. CHADWICK is doing a general insurance business
in the adjoining towns and counties, and resides on road 24 in the town of
Patrick H. CANNON was born in Galway, Ireland, March 17,
1836. March 4, 1863, he married Mary GALMAN, of his native place, and
April 3, 1864, they landed in New York, and located at Roxbury, Mass.
They have had nine children, one of whom died in infancy, and eight survive,
namely: Mary A., Patrick H ., Jr., John J., Kattie T., Fannie E., Nellie
M., Thomas E., and James. Mr. and Mrs. CANNON are living on road 22.
Joseph CRAWFORD was born October 10, 1833, in Rochester,
N.Y., received a practical education, and in early life was a farmer.
He moved with his parents to Attica, Wyoming County, in 1841. In 1854
they moved to the town of Bethany, and located on road 17 corner 19.
April 10, 1861, he married Julia, oldest daughter of Col. Daniel and Eleanora
BROWN, of Bethany. She was born February 17, 1840. Mr. CRAWFORD learned
the milling business about 1873, and is now proprietor of the grist-mill
and grocery store at West Bethany. He was appointed post-master, during
President GRANT's second term, in 1876, which office he still holds.
Stewart COPELAND was born in County Down, Ireland, in
December, 1807. He married Agnes FENNON, of his native place, and came
to America in 1833, first locating in Rochester, and finally came to Bethany,
Genesee County. They had nine children, as follows: Thomas,
Robert, John, Elizabeth, Stewart, Jr., Agnes, James, Marion, and William
W., of whom Thomas, Robert, James, Agnes, and Marion are deceased.
Stewart, Jr., a bachelor, is a fruit grower and farmer, and his father resides
with him. John COPELAND married Nellie NEFF, of Leicester, Livingston
County, and they had seven children, as follows: Thomas, Katie, Everett,
Fennon, Nancy, James, and John, Jr. Thomas and Nancy are deceased.
He enlisted in 1861 in Co. E, 9th Inf. N.Y. Vols., and was discharged in
August, 1863. Both John and Stewart, Jr., reside on road 34, in this
Calvin CURTIS was born in Berkshire County, Mass., July
25, 1778. He was married three times, first to Jemima THOMPSON, and
second to Polly CLAPP, and five children were born to him. For his
third wife he married Mrs. Nancy (HIBBARD) STORRS, of Wyoming County, by
whom he had four children, namely: Samantha, Martha, Daniel S., and
Roger H. Daniel S., born September 5, 1829, was educated in the
public schools until he was 16 years old. January 10, 1850, he married
Amanda H., fifth daughter of Clark ELDRIDGE, of Canandaigua, Ontario County.
They have three children, of whom Calvin died at the age of three years,
and two survive, namely: Frank R., born January 3, 1857, and Lottie
B., born July 3, 1858, who married Andrew B. MORRIS, of Middlebury, Wyoming
County. Frank R. married Sarah BOYCE, of Wyoming village.
Mr. and Mrs. CURTIS reside on road 14, in the hamlet of Little Canada.
Dr. Orlando R. CROFF was born three miles west of Warsaw
village, August 10, 1817, at two o'clock in the afternoon. He received
a common school and academic education, studied medicine with Dr. Jonathan
K. BARLOW, of Bethany Center, graduated in 1843, and has practiced medicine
since (46 years). April 14, 1844, he married Mary E., second daughter
of Dea. Elisha CHADWICK, of Warsaw. They have two children, namely:
Ganson W., born April 1, 1845, and Nella M., born May 28, 1866, who resides
at home with her parents. Ganson W. is a practicing physician. He studied
medicine with his father, attended lectures at Ann Arbor, Mich., and graduated
from the University of Buffalo in 1867. He married Clara S., fifth
daughter of Edmond BRAINARD, of this town, and they have had 10 children,
viz.: Orlando W., James B., R.D., Belle, Effie M., Betsey, Lois, Ganson
W., Jr., Clara M., and D. Olive. They all reside in Bethany Center.
Samuel DYE, born in the town of Mayfield, Montgomery County,
N.Y., June 20, 1818, came with his parents to Springwater when 13 years of
age. In 1841 he married Sarah BEVINS, of Springwater. They
had eight children, now living: Samuel H., William R., Jennie M., Julia
A., Ada M., Eudora H., and George E. Samuel H. owns a fruit farm
on road 20. In the war of the Rebellion he enlisted, August 30, 1862
in Co. I, 136th Inf. N.Y. Vols., and was discharged on surgeon's certificate
of disability by loss of use of left leg, from a gun-shot wound received
in the battle of Gettysburg, from the hospital at Philadelphia, Pa.
At the same time he was shot in the right arm near the shoulder, which was
broken, and also through the third finger of the right hand, the ball passing
through the fleshy part of the hand, under the thumb, into the wrist.
Charles DIXON came from Chatham, Conn., to Bethany, and
located on road 23 in 1814, leaving his family at home while he built a log
house. In the spring of 1815 he returned for his wife and 12 children.
Their conveyance was an ox-team and cart and a one-horse wagon. Two
children were born to them in their new home, two also died, and 12 survived.
One of them, William R., who was born on the old homestead in Bethany, May
13, 1822, was educated in the public schools, and was a farmer by occupation.
December 24, 1863, he married Sophia, oldest daughter of Nicholas CHILSON,
of Pavilion. They have had five children, three of whom died in infancy,
and two survive, namely: W. Walter, born September 21, 1866, and Charles
A., born December 24, 1871. Mrs. Sophia DIXON and her two sons reside
on the DIXON estate in this town.
Caleb ELLISON was born in Orange County, N.Y., in 1803,
and after his father's death went to Canada with his mother, where he remained
40 years. He married Jane WILKINS, of Ancaster, County Wentworth, Canada,
and they had seven children, as follows: Nelson C., Eleanor, Matilda, Louisa,
Jane, John, and William. Nelson C. was born in Canada, August 2, 1828.
He received a common school education, and August 23, 1859, married Caroline,
second daughter of Aaron TAYLOR, formerly of England. They have eight
children, namely: Roenna, Mary J., Delia V., Florence, Milton, Robert,
Courtney J., and Lilly B. Mr. and Mrs. ELLISON reside on road
Daniel EDWARDS, who was born in Rutland, Vt., March 27,
1807, came to New York State when a young man. He crossed the Genesee
River at Rochester before any bridges were built, and located in Monroe County.
December 22, 1836, he married Abby M. CONLEE, of Stillwater, and they had
two children, Sylvester C. and Charles D. The latter was born
in Sweden, Monroe County, November 21, 1840. He received a public and
Normal school education, began teaching school when he was 16 years old,
and taught 17 terms. August 11, 1862, he enlisted in Co. A, 140th Inf.,
N.Y. Vols., and was discharged December 18, 1864, for physical disability.
He acted as company commissionary-sergeant. January 1, 1865, he married
Caroline, third daughter of Lawrence COOPER, of Clarkson, Monroe County.
They have had eight children, viz: Arthur Alger, who died in 1873,
aged 19 months; Sheridan, born November 25, 1865; Ida M., born June 1, 1868;
Belle J., born May 8, 1870; Henry C., born April 12, 1874; Lille E., born
August 21, 1878; Erwin B., born August 13, 1883; and Carrie, born May 24,
1887. Mr. and Mrs. EDWARDS reside on road 3 in this town.
The first known of the ELLIOTT family was in East Crocker,
Somersetshire, England. One Andrew ELLIOTT came to Beverly, Mass.,
about the year 1668, joined the first church there in 1670, and died in 1703
or '04. The Rev. Jesse ELLIOTT was born in Mason, N.H., in 1799, was
educated in the theological college of Hamilton, N.Y., graduated in the class
of June, 1826, and afterwards taught in the Oneida Indian Mission
Station. For 54 years he was a faithful minister of the gospel in the
Baptist denomination. He married twice, first, June 21, 1827, Phebe,
daughter of Nathaniel and Betsey YEOMANS, of Greenville, N.Y., by whom he
had five children, of whom one son died in infancy, and four survive, namely:
Emily R., Elizabeth, William, and Nathaniel. His first wife died
October 22, 1840, and May 16, 1841, he married, second, Mary C., seventh
daughter of Hezekiah WILLIS, of Western, Oneida County, who bore him one
daughter, now Mrs. Jerome H. FILKINS, of Bethany Center, and one son, S.
Willis, born April 17, 1848, in Middlebury, Wyoming County. The latter
received a good common school and academic education until he was 16 years
old. He was engaged in mercantile business 11 years, has taught school
several terms, and is a farmer by occupation. September 28, 1869, he
married Angela A., seventh daughter of Edmund BRAINARD. They have had five
children, three of whom are deceased, and two survive, namely: A. Grace,
born September 17, 1874, and Brainard W., born September 21, 1879.
Rev. Jesse ELLIOTT died March 24, 1880. S. Willis ELLIOTT has been
actively engaged in purchasing and helping to survey land for the new line
of railroad from Geneva to Buffalo during the fall and winter of 1889-90.
David FILKINS was born in Dutchess County, N.Y., in 1807,
and came with his parents to Pavilion in 1809. About 1834 he married
Jemima PECK, who was born in Lyme, Conn. They had five children,
namely: Angeline M., Caroline P., Sarah E., Jerome H., and Albert D.
Jerome H. was born in this town November 7, 1839. He was educated in the
public schools and is a farmer by occupation. He married twice, first,
April 14,1864, Emily O. STEVENS, who died December 24, 1865, and second,
June 23, 1868, Mary C., third daughter of the late Rev. Jesse ELLIOTT, formerly
of Churchville, Monroe County. They had two children, viz.: Jessie
M., born October 25, 1869, and Angela E., born August 30, 1877, both of whom
are deceased. Mr. and Mrs. FILKINS reside in the village of Bethany
John FOLK, who was born in Germany, June 17, 1812, married
Catherine SHELABARGER, also of Germany, and they had five children, as follows:
Casper, John (who was killed in the late war), Catherine, Michael, and Mary.
Casper FOLK, eldest son of John, was born in Germany, January 24, 1849, and
came with his parents to America in 1853, locating in Bennington, Wyoming
County, N.Y. November 17, 1868, he married Mary CROUSE, of Lancaster,
Erie County. They have 10 children, namely: Kate, George, John,
Mary, Sarah, Lizzie, Clara, Michael, Frank, and Julia.
The FRENCH family came from England on the ship 'Mayflower,'
and first located in the East. Richard B. FRENCH was born in the northwest
part of the town of Bethany in 1815. He received a common school and
academic education, was a farmer, school teacher by occupation, and July
4, 1843, he married Esther, only daughter of Nehemiah TRACY, of Alexander,
and they had three children: Carson F., W. Cary, and Ernie. W. Cary,
born November 20, 1847, was educated in the common schools and in pike Seminary,
Wyoming County. Mr. FRENCH has held the office of highway commissioner
of his town. June 25, 1874, he married Zorada, seventh daughter of
Edmund BRAINARD, of Middlebury, Wyoming County. They have had three
children, of whom one son is deceased, and two survive, namely: Irma
E., born June 30, 1875, and C. Tracy, born December 23, 1881. Mr. and
Mrs. FRENCH reside on road 35, on the old BRAINARD place.
Caleb GIFFORD was born in Lyme, Grafton County, N.H., April 10, 1805, and
came to Genesee County with his parents when he was two years old.
They located in Warsaw (old Genesee County), and their mode of conveyance
was an ox-team and cart. He married Julia, second daughter of William
RAYMOND, of Warsaw, and they had four children, viz.: William R., James
H., Mary E., and Frances J. James H. was born in Bethany, June
22, 1835, and received a common school and academic education. He is
a farmer and fruit grower. February 28, 1872, he married Martha A.,
oldest daughter of Edmund STEBBINS, of his native town. They have two
children, William C., born January 8, 1879, and Mabel, born September 23,
1881. They reside near East Bethany, on road 22.
Seba GRANGER, grandfather of Byron, was a resident of Cherry Valley, Otsego
County. One of his sons, John, married Elizabeth CLEAVELAND, formerly
of Vermont. They had eight children, as follows: Chester, Seba,
Jr., Byron, Elizabeth, Mary, Chloe A., Almira, and Abigail. They located
in Monroe County about 1815. Byron, born in Penfield, Monroe County,
August 28, 1819, was a carpenter and joiner by trade. February 19,
1852, he married Lucetta S. DISBORO, of Stafford, and they had five children,
only two of whom, Sanford B. and Charles D., survive. Charles D. married
Barbara HARSCH, of Le Roy. Byron GRANGER served in Co A, 1st Dist.
Columbia Cav. Vols., and now resides on road 6 in Bethany.
James GILLARD, who was born in Devonshire, England, in 1820, married Ann
WARREN, of the same place, and they had children as follows: Mary A.,
William, Ellen, Edward, Emma, John, Walter A., and Jessie. Walter A.
GILLARD was born in North Devon, May 1, 1859. He was educated in the
common schools, and in 1879 came to America, locating in Stafford, this county.
October 7, 1884, he married Mary L., second daughter of Hiram PORTER, of
Bethany. Mr. PORTER was a native of Vermont. He resides in Little
Canada in the town of Bethany.
John GARTNER, born in Wurtemberg, Germany, about 1789, married Catherine
BESSINGER, and they had 10 children, only three of whom are living, namely:
Jacob, Barbara, and George. They came to America and located in Lancaster,
Erie County, where Jacob was born October 3, 1839. He received a common
school education, and is a farmer by occupation. May 8, 1861, he married
Elizabeth, second daughter of Alexander LEWIS, of Clarence, Erie County.
Her father was born in Vermont, of Scotch ancestry. They reside on
John HARPER was born in Devonshire, England, June 22, 1824. He married
Susan HOLLAND, of his native place, came to America in 1852, and located
in the town of Stafford. They have five children, viz.: Emma,
Charles W., Kate, George, and Elizabeth. Charles W. HARPER was born
in Stafford, August 4, 1855, received a common school education, and is a
carpenter and joiner by occupation. September 18, 1884, he married
Ellen R., oldest daughter of Elias LYON, of Attica, by whom he has two children,
Edna A. and Charles L. Mr. and Mrs. HARPER reside on road 24.
Ephraim HARDING, grandfather of Erastus D., served from Connecticut as a
soldier in the Revolutionary war under General PUTNAM. Alfred HARDING
served in the War of 1812. Erastus D. HARDING was born in Lyme, Conn.,
February 14, 1815, and when 10 years of age came with his parents to Genesee
county, where they arrived October 5, 1824, and located three-quarters of
a mile north of Bethany village. February 22, 1838, he married Mary
H., oldest daughter of William NOTT, formerly of Devonshire, England, but
now of Bethany. They have had 10 children, of whom eight survive, namely:
Eveline B., Mary E., Erastus G., Jennie M., Estella A., Flora C., William
E., and Herbert H. Erastus G. HARDING is a physician and surgeon
in Wyoming County; William E. is professor in the literary department of
the Institution for the Blind in Batavia; Jennie M., resides with her parents;
and Herbert H. is married and takes charge of the farm. Mr. HARDING
has been deacon in the Baptist Church for many years.
David HYDE was born in Essex, Vt., in l792. He learned the cabinet-makers'
trade, went to Boston, Mass., at the age of 21 years, and worked at his trade,
and also carpentering. He left Boston in 1817 and located on the Little
Tonawanda, on road 27 1/2, in the town of Bethany. About 1826 he married
Theirsy ALGER, of Bethany, and they had two children, Edgar and Edwin J.
The latter was born June 6, 1830, on the old homestead, where he spent his
boyhood, alternately on the farm, in the saw-mill, and in school. July
5, 1851, he married Jane E., oldest daughter of Erastus L. NORTON, of Alexander.
They have had five children, of whom three are deceased, and two survive,
namely: Charley E.D. and Lillian E., the latter a graduate of the New
England conservatory of Music, in Boston. Mr. HYDE served as
first sergeant in Co E, 105th Inf. N.Y. Vols., and was discharged for disability.
He is a teacher of vocal music and leader of the Genesee and Wyoming Musical
Association. His grandfather, Ephraim, served in the Revolutionary
war, and his father in the War of 1812.
John JENNE was born in Rutland, Vt., in 1791, and when a boy came with his
parents to Cayuga County, N.Y. He married Sarah F., oldest daughter
of William Freeman, and soon after located one-half mile south of Bethany
Center. They had three children, namely: Lansing K., William N., and
Jerusha F., the latter of whom married Harry G. LINCOLN. William N.
was born on the old homestead, August 19, 1831, received a common school
and academic education, and is a progressive farmer. January 1, 1855,
he married, first, Sophia N., daughter of Henry W. GARDINER, of Attica, Wyoming
County, and they had one son, Charles G., born October 16, 1857. He,
too, received a good education, and is a farmer and speculator. April 15,
1886, Mrs. JENNE died, and October 5, 1887, Mr. JENNE married for his second
wife Mrs. Hattie L. (STEWART) NORTON, who died February 1, 1889. February
15, 1882, Charles G. JENNE married Nellie, only daughter of Charles W. CONE.
She died November 17, 1885.
Israel E. JUDD was a soldier in the Revolution, and very likely was killed,
as he was never heard of again. His son was born at the close of the
war, and was named Liberty in honor of the victory achieved by the colonies.
He was a soldier in the War of 1812. He was born August 27, 1775, and
was married twice, first to Miss Hannah THOMPSON, and second to Abigail EVEREST,
October 4, 1807. He had born to him seven children, namely: Hannah,
1st., Israel E., Abigail, Anna M., Rhoda, Philip, and Hannah W.
Israel E. JUDD was born February 8, 1811, in the town of Bethany, and is
now living on the farm his father located in 1806. He received a common
school education. January 29, 1852, he married Mary, sixth daughter
of Reuben WRIGHT, of Alexander, and they have one son, Franklin I., born
June 20, 1853, who received a common school and academic education.
September 3, 1879, he married Sarah J., third daughter of A.D. WALDO, of
Elba. They have four children, namely: Everest A., Mark W., Florence
M., and Franklin II. Israel EVEREST, grandfather of Israel E. JUDD
on his mother’s side, was captured by the Indians, and suffered untold hardships
during his prison life in Montreal, Canada, and during his escape.
John KEMP was born in New Hampshire, December 20, 1786, and came to Marcellus,
Onondaga County, N.Y., when a young man. He married Charity BARROWS,
of Skaneateles, and in 1832 they came to Middlebury, Wyoming County (old
Genesee). They had eight children, namely: Harriet, Milo M.,
Emily, Maria L., George B., Myron J., William E., and Caroline A.
Myron J. KEMP was born in Marcellus, May 6, 1822, and came with his parents
to the Genesee country when 10 years of age. He received a common school
education, and has been a farmer by occupation. May 17, 1848, he married
Louisa M., second daughter of Jonathan GATES, formerly of New Hampshire.
They have no children. Mr. KEMP is now a gentleman of leisure, and
resides on East Main street, in the village of Linden.
Sylvester LINCOLN, Jr., walked from Castleton, Vt., to Batavia in 1803, and
helped to survey lands in what is now the town of Elba. He returned
to Vermont in 1803 or ’04 and married Eleanor WALLACE, of Hubbardton, Vt.,
and came with his young wife and his father’s family to Bethany. They
were the fourth family that located in the town, and one of his sons, Harry
G., was the second child born in the town. Charles F., late husband
of M. Jennie LINCOLN, and son of Sylvester, was born August 29, 1833, in
Middlebury, Wyoming County. He came with his parents to Bethany when
very young, and received a liberal education. February 26, 1862, he
married M. Jennie, only daughter of Thomas CATHCART, of Corfu. They
had four children, namely: Harry T., who is a farmer with his mother;
John S., a graduate of the Normal School of Geneseo, N.Y., who is now teaching
as principal of a High school in Steuben County; Florence M., also a teacher,
who resides at home with her mother; and Anna L., who also resides at home.
After his marriage Mr. LINCOLN united with Presbyterian Church at Bethany
Center, was always a consistent Christian, and for many years was an elder
until his disease, May 29, 1886. He left a widow and family and a large
circle of friends to mourn his death.
The first known of the LOUNSBURY family was three brothers who came from
England at an early day. One of them had a son by the name of Robert,
who married Elizabeth PINKNEY, of Dutchess County, N.Y., and went to Canada,
being tempted by liberal offers of land which he secured by settling there.
One of their nine children was John, who was born in Canada, May 10, 1802,
and in 1812 came with his parents to the United States. His father
incurred the enmity of the Canadians for his unflinching loyalty to the United
States. His 800 acres of land they confiscated, and he barely got away
alive. He purchased 300 acres of land situated mostly in the town of
Alexander. Very little of this land was cleared at this time.
Deer and bears were plentiful. John’s father died before he attained
his majority, and the care of the family early devolved upon him. In
1826 he married Abigail HAYES, of Bethany, and they had eight children, of
whom four survive, namely: Cordelia, Edwin, Henry, and Emily.
Edwin LOUNSBURY was born March 18, 1828, on the old homestead in Alexander.
He worked on the farm and attended school, and has always been a farmer.
March 22, 1860, he married Nora, daughter of John WELCH, and they have two
children, viz.: Thomas E., a farmer with his father, and M. Isabel,
who married Frank J. PRUE, of Alexander. Mr. and Mrs. LOUNSBURY reside
on a part of the original purchase in the town of Bethany.
Cordelia LOUNSBURY was born on the east part of the town of Alexander, November
27, 1826, and received a good education. She has been twice married, first
to Permina A. COGSWELL, of Alexander, April 11, 1843, and second to Thomas
HOYLE, formerly of England, in November, 1860. Both are deceased.
Mrs. Cordelia HOYLE resides on road 29, near the old homestead.
Shadrack LENT was born in Montgomery County, N.Y., June 2, 1802, and came
to Genesee County with his parents when 10 years old. He heard distinctly
the reports of the guns of the contending armies at the battle of Buffalo,
in the War of 1812. They first located in Pavilion. He married Prudence
A. DIXON, of Bethany, formerly of Chatham, Conn. They had five
children, namely: Lucy A., Charles H., William B., George V.N., and
Charlotte E. George V.N., born August 10, 1841, was educated
in the public schools, and is a fruit grower and farmer. January 29,
1879, he married Minnie O. BURTON, of Cambridge, Mass., by whom he had one
daughter, Harriet A., born January 6, 1883. Mrs. LENT died February
14, 1887. Mr. LENT’s sister, Charlotte F., is keeping house for him.
He resides on road 21.
Frederick LEITZ was born in Germany, April 21, 1817. He received a
good education, and in 1852 came to America, landed in New York city, and
first located at Lancaster, Erie County, and finally in Wyoming County.
November 8, 1858, he married
Bridget HALEY. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Co. E, 136th Inf. N.Y.
Vols., and participated in the battles of Chancellorsville and Gettysburg.
On the third day of the latter battle, at 3 P.M., he was wounded in the left
wrist by a minie-ball, was sent to Jarvis Hospital, Baltimore, and was transferred
to West Building Hospital, being in both 15 months. After leaving
the hospital he served in the Veteran Reserve Corps until his discharge,
October 1, 1864, for disability. He came to Bethany in 1871.
Mr. LEITZ’s wrist is much disfigured and entirely useless. He resides
on road 35 in this town.
Alanson D. LORD was born in 1806, in Herkimer County,
N.Y., and about 1814 he came with his brother, Smith LORD, to Bethany.
February 4, 1835, he married Mary M., fifth daughter of James STOUGHTON,
of Bethany, and they have had six children, of whom three survive, viz.:
Laura M. (Mrs. David DENTON); Ann M. (Mrs. Luin L. MUNGER); and James S.,
born October 27, 1844, in Wheatland, Monroe County. In early life he
was mechanic, but is now a fruit tree jobber, apiarist, and farmer.
June 19, 1873, he married Laura A., second daughter of Ira WAIT, Jr.
They have had six children, namely: Frank J. and Minnie L., deceased;
and Mary E., Mark D., Anna L., and Tracy T., who survive. Mrs. J.S.
LORD is a breeder of thoroughbred Wyandotte and Java fowls.
Jared S. LORD was born in Durham, Greene County, N.Y.,
May 17, 1798, and died December 15, 1885. When he was 20 years old
he came to Western New York, and finally located in Bethany. He married
twice, first, in April, 1821, Polly EVEREST, by whom he had two children.
September 16, 1828, he married, second, Hannah CURTIS, formerly of Plymouth,
Chenango County, and they had three children, namely: Jared C., Mary
J., and Hattie C., the latter of whom resides in the village of Linden.
James MILLERICK was born in Ireland in 1838, came to America
in 1856, and located in Bethany. March 5, 1866, he married Ann,
fourth daughter of Thomas BENSON, of this town. They had five children,
as follows: Fannie A., Richard, Mary, John, and Nellie C.
Mr. MILLERICK died in February, 1888. Ann MILLERICK, his widow, resides
on road 34 in Bethany.
Isaac V. MULLEN, M.D., was born in Hector, Tompkins County, February 16,
1827, and spent his boyhood days on the farm and in the store. In 1848,
he began to study medicine with Hon. Charles D. ROBINSON, of Hornellsville,
Steuben County, and graduated from the Castleton (Vt.) Medical College, June
18, 1851. He married Laura D., youngest daughter of Royal ALDRICH,
of Castleton, and they have four children. He began the practice of
medicine in St. Lawrence County, N.Y., where he remained until he went into
the army as assistant surgeon of the 13th Inf. N.Y. Vols. When
the 14th H.A. was organized he became its surgeon, and was retained in hospital
service six months after the war closed. He has a good practice in
the towns of Alexander and Bethany.
Salmon MUNGER, grandfather of Luin L., was a soldier in the War of 1812.
He went from Connecticut and served on the frontier near Buffalo. His
son Anson was born in Schoharie County, N.Y., and in 1844 married Lydia,
eighth daughter of Asa THOMPSON. They had two children. Luin
L. MUNGER, born July 28, 1845, in Bethany, received a liberal education,
and February 15, 1862, he enlisted in Co. E, 105th Inf. N.Y. Vols.
He was engaged in the battles of Cedar Mountain, second Bull Run, and Antietam.
AT the latter battle, which occurred September 17, 1862, he was wounded in
the left leg, with a 12-pound solid shot, which caused its amputation, which
operation was performed in the Smoke Town Field Hospital, where he remained
until he was discharged, April 2, 1863. July 4, 1865, he married Ann
M., second daughter of Alanson D. LORD, of this town, but formerly of Herkimer
County. Mr. and Mrs. MUNGER reside on road 28.
Benjamin F. NORTON was born in the town of Bethany, October 1, 1816.
His parents came from Vermont. He received a good education, and in1832
he married Edna FRARY, who died March 8, 1848. He married for his second
wife Elizabeth, second daughter of David LOCKE, of Batavia, and they have
had four children, namely: Charles, Walter Frank, Fred L., and William.
The last two named are deceased. Walter Frank, born January 3, 1851,
received a common school and academic education, and January 23, 1872, he
married Mattie K., oldest daughter of Erastus WOOD, of Little Canada, in
the town of Bethany. Mr. and Mrs. NORTON have adopted two children,
namely: Cora L. (WOOD) and Arthur. They are living on road 27,
on the old Ira WAITE place.
George PRESCOTT was born in Devonshire, England, in 1819. He married
Mary CLARK, of the same place, and they have two children, Frank and Thomas.
In 1834 they came to America, and first located in Stafford, Genesee County.
Thomas PRESCOTT was born January 6, 1850, was educated in the public schools,
and is a farmer and fruit grower. March 21, 1881, he married Mary,
oldest daughter of Richard WATSON, of Dunkirk, N.Y. They have three
children, namely: George F., born February 19, 1882; Ruth W.,
born June 2, 1883; and Charles F., born December 27, 1888. They reside
on road 7 in this town.
Seth M. PECK, who was born in Lyme, Conn., January 4, 1800, served as waiter
for Major LORD in the War of 1812. September 9, 1824, he married Sarah
PIERSON, of his native place, and came to Bethany and located where his son
now resides, on road 24, corner 35. They had six children, namely:
Sarah E., Phebe, Laura, S. Marvin, Almira, and Henry. S. Marvin was
born April 14, 1831, received a liberal education, and is a farmer by occupation.
May 17, 1860, he married, and has had born to him two children: a daughter
who died in infancy, and Robert C., born July 12, 1861, who survives.
Robert C. PECK married Mary BOLT, of this town, January 8, 1889.
Richard PECK, who was born in Lyme, New London County, Conn., February 5,
1786, came to this town in 1806, and located where Benjamin F. PECK now resides.
He returned to Connecticut the following spring, and returned with his grandmother
and mother, with a two-horse wagon. About 1815 he married Catherine
Hope COMSTOCK, of Bethany, formerly of Haddam, Conn. They had 12 children,
10 of whom grew to maturity, viz.: Elizabeth M., Maria L., Nathaniel,
Richard, Israel M., Catherine H., Mary A., Benjamin F., Lucy J., and Charles
A. Benjamin F. PECK was born on the homestead July 16, 1829,
and received a public school and academic education until he was 18 years
of age. February 24, 1853, he married Phebe R., second daughter of
S. Marvin PECK, of Bethany. They have three children, namely:
Florence, born July 17, 1855; Richard, born October 12, 1857; and Mary A.,
born July 15, 1869. Richard PECK was educated in the public schools
and an academy, and is farming for his father, Benjamin F. October
25, 1883, he married Helen C., second daughter of Freeman M. SANFORD, of
Jackson County, Mich., and they have two children, Franklin H. and Helen
The first known of the PUTNAM family was three brothers who came from Holland
to America, and located in Vermont. Peter PUTNAM, grandfather of Orrin,
served in the Revolutionary war and held the position of major. Peter
PUTNAM, Jr., was born October 21, 1785, and came to Bethany in 1805 or ’06.
February 26, 1809, he married Prudence JOHNSON, who was born in Connecticut,
November 15, 1784. They had seven children, namely: Orrin, Warren,
David, Philotheta, Osgood, Seymour, and Emeline. Orrin PUTNAM, born
February 21, 1810, married, April 4, 1831, Sophia HUNTINGTON, and they had
six children, namely: Edmond, Alfred, Emogene, Hartson O., Lewis V.,
and Marion. Lewis V. is in Red Canon, Wyoming Territory; Edmund resides
in Rossville, Ill.; and Emogene is in Albion, Mich., the wife of Joseph SHEPARD.
Hartson O. PUTNAM was born December 12, 1849, in Batavia. He received
a common school education, and is a farmer and fruit grower. About
1870 he married Rozelle QUANCE, of Batavia, by whom he had one son, Herbert
D. Mrs. PUTNAM died when they had been married five years, and
February 22, 1882, he married, second, Alice, third daughter of John C. KINNEY,
of Albion, Mich. They have three children, viz.: Lester
O., born June 8, 1883; Persis A., born May 15, 1886; and Mary L., born February
10, 1888. They reside on road 1.
Elijah ROGERS was born at Lyme, Conn., in 1785. He married Maria BECKWETH,
of the same place, and they had four children. They came to Genesee
County in 1811, and located in Stafford. William E., born April 9,
1809, in Lyme, received a pioneer education. May 13, 1834,
he married Mehetabal P. BANNING, of his native place, and they have no children.
Her father, Calvin BANNING, was also born in Lyme, January 22, 1785.
William E. ROGERS and wife have been married 56 years, and have resided on
road 24 for 54 years.
Bethel STAVELY was born in Yorkshire, England, in 1817, and in early life
married Ann CLAYTON, of the same place. They had four children, namely:
Eliza J., Sarah A., Jonathan, and Henry C. In November,
1856, they came to the United States, and located near Geneva, Ontario County.
Jonathan was born in England, March 1, 1843, and when 15 years of age,
at Geneva, he enlisted in Co. E, 1st Vet. Cav. N.Y. Vols. He
was discharged at the close of the war at Rochester, N.Y. Mr.
STAVELY was a brave soldier. He located at East Bethany, this county,
and September 12, 1869, married Anne E., youngest daughter of Edward FULLERTON,
of Buffalo. They have had five children, of whom Charles W. and Sarah
A. survive. Mr. and Mrs. STAVELY reside in the village of East
Andrew SHOWERMAN was born in Alexander about 1846, and when 18 years old
he became a railroad man, first as a brakeman on the N.Y.C. & H.R. Railroad,
and afterwards on N.Y., L.E.& W. Railroad, where he was conductor for
20 years. He is now baggage and express agent on the same road.
He married twice, first, Lucy VANDEBOGART, by whom he had four children,
of whom two died in infancy, and two survive, viz.: Frank C. and John.
For his second wife Mr. SHOWERMAN married Agnes CARL. Frank C. was
born June 20, 1866, and received a good academic education until he was about
17 years old. He is now station agent, telegraph operator, and express agent
George SOUTH was born in the village of Stratton, Warwickshire, England,
October 10, 1830. At the age of 13 he was apprenticed for seven years
to learn the trade of a carpenter and joiner. There are now few men
who equal him as a carpenter and builder. He has a good education for
the short time he attended school. Mr. SOUTH married twice, first,
Mary WYATT, of London, England, about 1855. They had two children,
Mary and Julia. In 1869, he came to America, and located in Rochester,
N.Y. His wife died in 1872, and for his second wife he married
Mrs. Emerett (BROWN) JUDD, of Bethany. They have one daughter, Clara
E., born April 16, 1883. Mrs. SOUTH had three children by her first
husband, viz.: Thomas, Oscar D., and Walter E. Mr. and
Mrs. SOUTH reside on the Col. Daniel BROWN homestead, on road 19.
James SHEPARD was born in Otsego County, N.Y., November 29, 1804, came with
his father, John, to this town in 1816, and married Amanda PUTNAM, January
2, 1827. She was born October 2, 1806. They had 10 children,
all of whom grew to maturity, viz.: Debora C. (deceased), Phebe M.,
Maria, Franklin P., Daniel, Harlan J., Ransom A., Ordelia A., David M., and
Ellen. Daniel SHEPARD, born in Batavia, April 10, 1835, received a
common and Normal school education, and is a farmer and speculator.
March 2, 1859, he married Carrie, second daughter of David FILKINS, and they
have had two children, namely: Effie, born February 22, 1862, died
December 13, 1885; and Dwight D., born April 20, 1865. The latter was
educated in the public schools, also in the high schools of Batavia, and
August 26, 1886, he married Rubie E., second daughter of Augustus WOODWORTH,
of this town. They reside on the farm he purchased on his wedding
day, on road 4.
Thomas SQUIRES was born in Barnstable, England, in 1819, and married Ann
WARD, of the same place. They came to America in 1854, and located
in Stafford, this county. They had seven children, namely: Lizzie,
George, Susan, William, Charles, Emma, and Frank. George SQUIRES was
born in England, January 27, 1849, and came with his parents to America in
1854. November 23, 1870, he married Clara H., oldest daughter of Hiram
PORTER, of Bethany, and they have four children, viz.: Frank H., born
April 21, 1874; Albert J. and Alfred B. (twins), born December 20, 1875;
and Flora I., born June 4, 1872. The latter attends a select school
in Alexander. Mr. and Mrs. SQUIRES reside on road 28 in this town.
Orlando M. SMILEY was born in Oneida County, near Utica, N.Y., received
a good education, and when a boy moved with his parents to the town of Elba.
He married Eunice KNICKERBOCKER and they had two children, Frank J. and Mary
Eunice. Frank J. SMILEY was born in Elba, and received a common school
and academic education. He is a farmer and a traveling man. May
14, 1867, he married Mary I., oldest daughter of Edward T. SQUIRES, of Alexander.
They had three children, of whom two survive, namely: Earl F., born
March 27, 1878, and Ruth M., born August 7, 1884. The family reside
on road 31.
Norman G. THOMAS was born in Williamstown, Mass., of Welsh ancestry, and
June 6, 1809, he came with his parents to Cazenovia, N.Y. He was a
carriagemaker by trade, and in his latter years a farmer. January 14,
1835, he married Lucy E., oldest daughter of Alexander PATTERSON, of Livonia.
They had two children, of whom the daughter of died in infancy.
Mr. THOMAS died December 17, 1878. George R. THOMAS was born October
24, 1839. In 1841 he moved with his parents to Genesee County, and
in 1866 he engaged in mercantile business. October 21, 1866, he married
Emogene McKAY, of Groveland, Livingston County, and they have seven children
living, viz.: Heman S., Norman G., Irene H., Lesley, Cecil R., Adelbert,
Samuel J. TOLL, born in Schenectady, N.Y., August 24, 1829, was educated
in the common schools, and when 20 years old he went to Ohio, Indiana, Michigan,
Illinois, and finally located at Lyons, Iowa, where he followed the occupation
of auctioneer. August 10, 1861, he enlisted in the 1st Iowa Cav. Vols.;
was discharged October 10, 1862; and was then mustered into the United States
service as mustering officer with the rank of second lieutenant. January
31, 1863, he received his commission as second lieutenant of Co. A, 6th Iowa
Cav. Vols., and was in command of the company one year and six months.
He was discharged at the close of the war, and resided in Chicago, Ill.,
and Nashville, Tenn., each four years. He then returned to Bethany,
where he is now a farmer on road 12 ½, near East Bethany village.
Frederick F. WILSON was born in County Kent, England, March 4, 1811, and came to America in 1830, locating in Phelps, Ontario County, N.Y. About 1832 he married Harriet PRICE, and they had eight children, viz.: Charles, Jane, Ellen, Franklin S., Emma, Harlo, Mary, and George V. The latter was born in East Bloomfield, Ontario County, November 27, 1854. He received a common school education until he was 14 years of age, and in his boyhood worked on a farm. AT the age of 18 he began to learn the blacksmith trade, and is a first-class mechanic. March 21, 1874, he married Alice J., oldest daughter of William H. HEDGER, of Attica, Wyoming County. They have one son, William F., born January 10, 1875. They reside at West Bethany village.
Harry WOOLF was born in Rochester, Kent, England, August 23, 1861. He received a commercial education, and in 1884 came to America, and located in New York city as a book-keeper. He finally came to Linden, Genesee County, where he began his career as a merchant by peddling goods through the several towns of this and adjoining counties. January 9, 1888, he married Irma M., youngest daughter of Capt. William GRANT, of Darien, and they have one son, William A., born December 13, 1888. Mr. WOOLF located in Bethany Center as a general merchant February 9, 1889.
Guy WHEELER was born in Lanesborough, Mass., July 30, 1782, and removed to Vermont. March 12, 1804, he married Clarissa KIMBALL, in Springfield, Vt. They had 10 children, all deceased but two, namely: Mary J. and Guy, Jr. The latter was born in Benson, Vt., May 2, 1825, and came with his father’s family to Middlebury, Wyoming County, in 1836. He received a liberal education, and May 30, 1870, he married Mrs. Melinda M. (GOULD) EMERY, who had one son, Clark H., a telegraph operator, who died in Mexico of yellow fever. They have four children, namely: Nora G., Maud M., Guy E., and Margie C. Nora G. is a school teacher. Mrs. WHEELER’s maternal grandmother lived to be 104 years of age.
Constant WEBSTER was born in Rensselaer County, N.Y., in November, 1792. About 1818 or ’19 he married, first, Miss Fanny SPRING, of his native place, and they had four children, namely: James H., John M., Almira, and Ebenezer. He married, second, Miss Ann DUSENBURY, of the same county, by whom he also had four children, viz.: Alfred, Oren S., Aaron B., and Helen. John M. WEBSTER was born July 4, 1822, in Rensselaer County. He received a good education, and married, April 22, 1847, first, Miss Sarah J. SMITH, of Attica. They had children as follows: Cassius M., Henry P., Eulelia J., Cora A., Helmer J., Grant S., and Flora J., of whom Eulelia J., Helmer J., and Grant S. are deceased. For his second wife, Mr. WEBSTER married Mrs. Mary (READ) LINCOLN, of Bethany, second daughter of the late Henry and Laura READ. Mr. WEBSTER is a retired farmer, and has been justice of the peace for 16 years.
Erastus WOOD was born in Lyme, Conn., July 26, 1803, and came to Little Canada, this county, in 1823. March 21, 1837, he married Jane HALLECK, of Orange County, N.Y., and they had five children, namely: William J., Henry H., Leonard D., Mattie J., and Phebe A. William J. WOOD was born in Little Canada, January 29, 1838, and received a public school education. He is a carriagemaker and blacksmith by occupation. He married twice, first, September 18, 1867, Mary A. KNOWLTON, by whom he had four children, namely: Jennie A., Charles F., Ella A., and Carrie M. His first wife died April 12, 1882, and for his second wife he married, January 1, 1886, Mrs. Fannie (BROOKS) BARNES, of Ross, Kalamazoo County, Mich., who bore him two sons, Cleon K. and Frank R. She had one son, Chester A., by her first husband. The family resides in Little Canada in the town of Bethany.
Ira WAIT, better known as Judge WAIT, was born March 2, 1793, and came with his father, William WAIT, to Batavia from Washington County, N.Y., at a very early date in the history of Genesee County. In early life he united in marriage with Anna BROWN, who bore him nine children. He married, second, January 3, 1837, Phebe HOTCHKISS RUMSEY, daughter of Jimmy RUMSEY. She was born in Hubbardton, Vt., March 15, 1808. They had a daughter and a son, Leonora V. and Addison. Mr. WAIT settled in Bethany, and was a farmer and surveyor. He was called upon to survey lands until he was 70 years of age. He received the appointment of associate judge of Genesee County courts, under the old State constitution, from Gov. William H. SEWARD, and held the position several years. He represented Genesee County in the Assembly of 1842, and was a magistrate of his town. These positions of honor are conclusive evidence that he was a man of superior abilities. He was also a man of sterling integrity, and had a mind and will of his own. He began his political life an “Old Line” Whig, and joined the Republican party at its organization. Mr. WAIT died of paralysis, at the home of his son-in-law, Oscar W. LORD, in Batavia, May 31, 1875, while there for a visit. Mrs. WAIT survived until June 24, 1884.
Leonora V. WAIT, daughter of Ira and Phebe H. (RUMSEY) WAIT, was born in Bethany, February 27, 1839, and married Oscar W. LORD, September 28, 1870. Oscar W. LORD was born in Bethany, July 25, 1825, the son of Jared S. LORD, who emigrated from Connecticut. He graduated from the State Normal School at Albany and taught a few terms, and then settled permanently in Batavia as a dealer in hats, caps, and furs. He died of apoplexy January 25, 1879.
Robert WALKER, born in Yorkshire, England, October 14, 1806, came to America in 1839. He married Mary ELLIS, of his native place, and they had eight children, viz.: William M., Robert, Matthew, Sarah, Hannah, John, Frank, and Ellen. Robert WALKER was killed in the battle of Cold Harbor. William M. was born in England, and came with his parents and located in Onondaga County, N.Y. September 27, 1858, he married Mary L. ARCHER, of Bennington, Wyoming County, and they have had seven children, as follows: Mary L., Hannah F., Robert J., William L., Charles E. (deceased), John E., and Raymond M. William M. WALKER enlisted December 30, 1863, in Co. H, 8th H.A. N.Y. Vols. He was in the battles of the Wilderness, Cold Harbor, Hatcher’s Run, and the three days’ battle before Petersburg, and was discharged at the close of the war.
Joseph WELLERT was born in Prussia, Germany, March 3, 1824. In 1862 he married Mary BURDGER, of the same place, and in 1862 came to America and located first in Batavia, afterwards in Stafford, and finally in Bethany. They had five children, namely: Charles, who married Minnie LEE, of Aurora, Ill.; Minnie, who married Christian ETTER, of Le Roy, Lewis, who resides with his parents; Henry, who also resides in Aurora, Ill.; and Eliza, who resides in Le Roy.
John WEBER was born in Germany and died when his son George P. was five years of age. George P. WEBER was born October 9, 1827, came to America in 1852, and first located in Cincinnati, O., where he remained two years, when he came to Western, N.Y. He married twice, first, Catherine SPRING, in Canada, formerly of Switzerland, and second, February 15, 1882, Wilimina HART, who was also born in Germany. Mr. WEBER served in the late war, enlisting, first, in September, 1861, in co. A, 9th Cav. N.Y. Vols., and second in Co. K, 2d Mounted Rifles N.Y. Vols. He was wounded by a minie-ball in his left arm, near the shoulder, at the battle of Cold Harbor, and was discharged as duty sergeant at the close of the war.
Back to Archives